Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Overdue for an update

Ok, a few days have passed, and it's time for an update (for those 3 or so of you who might be reading my blog! ;-) I'll get the url out to more folks soon...).

I found an unusual growth on the right side of my tongue in early Feb. Immediately thought "CANCER!!", and had visions of me losing my tongue and needing to learn sign language... kinda funny, but not too far off from the truth! One of my pastors prayed for me and I felt God's peace - I wasn't freaking out with fear anymore. But I think somewhere along the way I also convinced myself it couldn't possibly be cancer - I'm not a candidate for oral cancer at all ("I don't drink, don't smoke, don't chew... don't run with those who do..."). ;-)

So I finally got in to see the Ear, Nose & Throat specialist last Tues. for a biopsy. Dr. Birusingh, with Kaiser Permanente. He was so kind and understanding. I almost passed out twice during the whole thing! (I'm a weenie when it comes to needles & medical procedures...) First from the needle with lidocaine, then from the biopsy itself. I wasn't feeling anything, but it was taking.... toooo.... loonnggg.... I thought it was supposed to be short & quick, and I couldn't handle it. So, as I'm recovering from my wooziness for the 2nd time on my back, I asked him, with my mouth numb and stuffed with gauze, "Cud u fossibly finis this up wit me on my bak?" He graciously agreed (I think he realized it was a losing battle - we were headed for a 3rd round, and I'm sure it saved him time in the long run...especially as this time 'round I heard 'snip snip snip'... gross...).

I didn't think to ask him when I'd get the results, but I was expecting a call back from him on Thursday 'cuz of some questions I'd left him. So I wasn't surprised to hear his voice on the phone that afternoon. But I was quite stunned with the news he gave me. Needless to say, I didn't stick around work much longer after that.

He called me at the end of the day with news that he had set up a CT scan appt. for me @ 8:00 a.m. Monday (yesterday), and an appt. with the Head & Neck Tumor Board for next Monday @ 8:30 a.m. That's where I'll hear the details of my case, the results of the CT scan, and treatment options/recommendations. Plus meet the new Dr. overseeing my case, Dr. Lueg. (I'll miss Dr. B... he was great).

The CT scan yesterday went well. My dear friend Brenda, from church, volunteered to pick me up at 6:30 a.m. (a true friend indeed!) and head over to Kaiser Sunset (in Hollywood) for an early check-in. They gave me an IV w/ a contrast solution (and I didn't pass out from the needle - woo hoo!), and the scan went quickly. I did offer them some "customer feedback", and said they really needed to work on the bench they make us lie on - not comfortable at all, really bad for the lower back. ;-) It should be more like a dentist's chair - my dentist's chair is the most comfortable thing I've ever lain on! The technician said he'd see what they could do. (yeah, right... I think he was just trying to humor me... ;-)

They said if the results showed anything serious (ie, if it's spread to my neck), they'd contact my Dr. and he'd let me know soon. I haven't heard anything from my Dr. yet, so I take that as good news. The scan will show them the size & extent of the tumor, something they need to know in order to properly advise me on treatment.

I also needed to have a fasting blood test (a follow-thru to my recent physical), so I squeezed that in yesterday morning as well - and again, I didn't pass out from the needle! (Thank-you, Lord!)

At church on Sunday my pastors had me come up for prayer, which I greatly appreciated. Of course, they had to do it in the middle of the worship song "Count It All Joy," which had me bawling my eyes out, so I'm sure I looked an emotional wreck, which I've really not been (well, not all the time, anyway). And wouldn't you know, after they pray for me, asking God for healing, I come down with one of the worst colds of my life. I've been home sick for the last 2 days. Sore throat, stuffy head, aches & pains, tired... I guess God is wanting to knock out all my props and teach me to depend entirely on Him! (will I ever learn??)

More to come...

1 Comments:

At Wed Mar 22, 08:36:00 AM PST, Blogger Bethany said...

Oh Liz. What a trial. Please know you are in our prayers daily.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home